Environmental Education Programming is available for Elementary schools.
Based on the California Department of Education grade level science standards, the following lessons are offered at the Sacramento River Discovery Center:
- Garden: Plants, drought tolerant concepts, propagating, painting and drawing.
- Aquatic insects: Students get their feet wet and explore living organisms in the water, at Ben’s Pond or at the slough.
- Birding: Identification, bird parts and observation.
- The SRDC and Salmon Story: Students learn about the life cycle of the salmon, water diversions, watersheds and other exploratory items in the center.
- Riparian and Habitat Walk: Students explore the four different habitats found at the Sacramento River Discovery Center, taking plaster castings of wildlife tracks found in the Sacramento River slough.
Student groups rotate through any of the subject areas usually within your time allotted.
For additional information, or to schedule a day at the Sacramento River Discovery Center, please call the front office (530) 527-1196.